Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE!

Use coupon radiopreppers for 20% off on the above site.Become a Patron!

Author Topic: KX3 MARS Mod.  (Read 15046 times)

lewisp

• SMeter: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: KX3 MARS Mod.
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
I put in a call to elecraft, no word back as of this morning.
 I don't see anything on their website about this mod either. Maybe I just missed it.
    can you tell me how the software gets installed?

Andywragg

• SMeter: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2018, 04:42:53 AM »
Hi there, Wouldn't the MARS mod render your KX3 unusable under the new FCC advisory note relating to the ability of equipment to transmit out of amateur bands?
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

RadioRay

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +44/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2018, 07:31:47 PM »
C'mon, Andy,

You know that most Americans don't obey faceless distant bureaucrats, unless we personally believe in that particular regulation.   That goes double if it came from Washington D.C. ha ha

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
- or something like that ;-)

de RadioRay  ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Quietguy

• SMeter: +10/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »
Hi there, Wouldn't the MARS mod render your KX3 unusable under the new FCC advisory note relating to the ability of equipment to transmit out of amateur bands?

I'm guessing you are referring to the FCC taking on Baofeng regarding violating the rules concerning commercial sales of "type accepted" equipment.  There is no prohibition against amateurs possessing or using equipment capable of out of band transmissions; the prohibition is against actually transmitting where they are not authorized.  The MARS mod does not affect amateur use of the equipment within amateur bands.  US amateurs are free to design, build, modify and operate their own equipment as long as the equipment meets FCC emission standards.  That's why kits can be sold without going through the "type acceptance" approval process.  The kit isn't a radio until it is assembled, and then it is up to the individual amateur to make sure his equipment complies.

But, some time ago I read the NTIA (the agency that regulates US Federal frequencies) had ruled that MARS members had to use equipment that complied with NTIA regulations, which did not include modified amateur equipment.  I am not a MARS member and I don't know how that played out.  The NTIA regulates Federal government frequencies, including military, and the FCC regulates civilian frequencies.

Wally

Radio Preppers

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 08:17:07 PM »