Amateur Radio and Firearms

Started by Scott, September 02, 2012, 12:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I'm sure you could work out something with Marc the instructor here. He's not in it for the money..
I can get you started also if you have someone to practice with.. I may have others who might want to start as well...
Then, on to the regular class with confidence...

Gil.

Sunflower

Need to get to where I can walk without being out of breathe. For a person that use to run a mile under 7 min. without practicing, it is more frightening than humbling that I am so far removed from running (started with some very bad injuries 20 years ago).

I attended a AppleSeed weekend a year or two ago. Seems like it was just a year ago. It was great. I learned so much, but have not practiced what I learned enough. I hope to go back to the weekend programs when my husband gets better.  Right he is just not well enough - strength etc. I do not shoot when I am in pain anymore. It got to be a safety issue due to distraction. Once I get better with the firearms - get professional training, then I will make a point to practice when in high pain.

I carry .380. It is better than nothing. It is the last thing I would grab, but would grab it if I had to. I almost paid with my life in past, and don't want that choice again.

Here is a quick and fun story. I passed on CW training the other night so I could get in another kind of practice . I was dark outside. I have been wanting to get in some practice walking in the dark, so I decided to take the dog for a walk. I handed my husband the two-way walkie-talkies, put the leash on the Great Pyrenese, and slung the .410/.44 8inch barrel Judge over my chest. My dog was estatic. He was so happy. A leash is a leash, but the gun means a real walk. He was jumping and wagging his tail.

It had been a 18 months or more since I was walking him regularly while carrying. We had a good sized badger population for awhile, and the Judge just seemed prudent. I did not walk far, but it was all good. With practice, I can add to the short jaunts.  He and I use to love to walk to the creek. Yes, we have a seasonal creek. It is awesome, especially when the beavers come back. I love watching the seasons change, and the buck hid.

gil

Sounds great Tess  :) You know, you both might want to look into Yoga. I know, that stuff might look a bit weird at first, maybe because lots of "weird" people practice it, but it really works wonders for the body.

Gil.

ttabs

This is my score for LE AQT.  I've got 6 of these if anyone wants one!   ;D

Sunflower

Nice Pic ttabs.
What kind of caliber did you use? (.40 glock?)

Geek

Quote from: ttabs on November 18, 2012, 10:10:57 PM
This is my score for LE AQT.  I've got 6 of these if anyone wants one!   ;D

Just out of curiousity, at what distance are qualification tests given?  I go to the range regularly and shoot at variable distances just to keep it interesting.  I never save the targets though.  I just put a lot of holes in them and then toss them until the next visit.

The range has a bunch of different style targets and I keep telling them to get zombie targets dressed in TSA uniforms, but so far they think I'm joking.  :-)

Lamewolf

I also find that if you go around life letting everyone know what you have ie: food, firearms, supplies, also makes you a target - loose lips sinks ships !  By putting yourself on a list of trained marksman also puts a label on you !

RichardSinFWTX

What I like is riding through my neighborhood and seeing the numbers of people who have targets up in the garage of their last trip to the range or in my case the range portion of my CHL class.  I can't speak for all of them and don't pretend to; but in my own case, my wife and I have ours tacked up on the wall as a warning to those with malice in their hearts..."Move along...nothing to see here."  I even clean all my guns in the garage in full view of anyone walking/driving by:  my Springfield XDM Match 5.25 (.45 ACP), my Saiga-12, both my wife's pistols and will clean and function check the AR-15 I plan to buy after the holidays.

What amazes me are the ones who put out the boxes from their shiny, new big-screen TV, their computers or even their new gun safes on the curb on "bulk trash day".  That just advertises "Hey!  I've got some neat stuff.  Come kick in my door and take it!" 

gil

This was more than 20yrs ago. Notice the nice arc of flying empty cases in the air... I was reloading, but that baby was getting expensive ::) Owned it for three years... It was a lot of fun.
(Mini Uzi full auto, closed bolt model)

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on December 10, 2013, 12:13:56 PM
This was more than 20yrs ago. Notice the nice arc of flying empty cases in the air... I was reloading, but that baby was getting expensive ::) Owned it for three years... It was a lot of fun.
(Mini Uzi full auto, closed bolt model)

Gil.
Full auto has little to no practical use but damn they'll sure put a smile on your face ;D ;D .
I've found that it's far more advantageous to have friends that own full autos than it is to own them yourself - I get to make some brass piles on occasion but I don't have to go through all the BATF paperwork, transfer fees, tax stamps, high maintenance, etc.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Definitely more trouble than it's worth.. It was fun and interesting to train with it. Very accurate in semi-auto for longer shots.
Indeed I had lots of new "friends" back then  ::)

Gil.

RichardSinFWTX

What I get a charge out of are the full auto, suppressed Saiga-12 videos on YouTube!   Daaaaaaaaaamn, that's a lotta Umph to suppress! 

I'd LOVE to do that to mine; but don't think I got the stones to be behind it!