General Category > Antennas

MFJ 971 vs LDG Z-817

(1/2) > >>

CPR:
Hello guys,

I am about to buy my first real antenna tuner. Although I got the QRP Guys Z Match tuner, I wanna have something more powerful for scalability.
I am currently really struggling on what to choose. My favorite is the MFJ 971 tuner. It's small and can be set to QRP use (max 6W) with integrated SWR and power meter. Also it can be used with higher power (for the time after I get an MX P50m amp).
But somehow the autotuner from LDG got into my head, it's smaller and more portable. But it can only do 20W max...
Can someone show me the pro's and con's to each tuner?
I don't wanna waste my money...
I really appreciate any information!

ATB
CPR

Jon_Garfio:
Get the LDG atu for 817, Is the better choice.

I used a lot of tunners with the 817 but the best is the LDG

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

CPR:
Hi Jon,

thanks for your suggestion. Can you explain what is better on the LDG than the MFJ?

caulktel:
The LDG tuner is a automatic tuner and the MFJ is a manual tuner much like the one you already have. I agree with Jon, buy the LDG or just keep the one you have.

Joel
N6ALT

gil:
The LDG is pretty big... I like my Elecraft T1 but it is expensive, and when the antenna is tuned, it doesn't matter then if you have an auto or manual tuner, the radio doesn't care! It can however see very high SWRs for short periods from an auto tuner... So better use an SWR bridge with resistors. A good manual tuner like the 4S or ZM-2 does everything you need. The one you have should be sufficient, but of course we never have enough QRP tuners...

Gil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version