Bug Out Vehicles

Started by Geek, June 01, 2013, 06:45:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Quote from: gil on June 03, 2013, 01:54:28 pm
..............Just keep in mind it will take three times more money and time than your estimation...

Gil.


Been there, done that several times. Three times your estimate is probably an understatement.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on June 03, 2013, 03:01:11 pm
Quote from: gil on June 03, 2013, 01:54:28 pm
..............Just keep in mind it will take three times more money and time than your estimation...

Gil.


Been there, done that several times. Three times your estimate is probably an understatement.
And the inverse to be recouped later. Like a hot-rod, gotta think of it as something else.
But if Geek has already restored a Porsche he probably knows this.   ;D

Geek

The Porsche took 6 years as well as a lot more money than it should have.  That was not the best way to learn about restoration's.  The cost on this will be less and it should run for many years.

s2man

June 05, 2013, 08:45:38 am #18 Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:44:06 am by s2man
Since you're doing a full restoration, I'd put in a new wiring harness.  Old, brittle insulation on the wiring won't withstand the high voltages of an EMP; The juice will bust through the insulation and there will be shorts every where.  Bug out time will not be a pleasant time to be rewiring a vehicle.

On the other hand, the diesel would still run, even if you didn't have lights and accessories.  Just run a wire to the starter and GOOD.  :-)

Edit: I saw a company that makes roof racks which are magnetic loop antennas.  How cool would that be to have on your suburban?  My first thought was, those have high voltages.  Then, in a closeup shot I saw the high voltage warning sticker.

Geek

I'd be interested in a link for that roof rack.

s2man

on their website:
http://www.stealth-tele.com/plugins/custompages/detinf.php?id=372&id_categories=156

And where I found them on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXAjIbMr3BY&list=PL58E9802D88B448E1

No price is given.  Video shows it on Mercedes SUVs;  So if you gotta ask, you probably can't afford it ;-)

Geek

I am going to save the link and check it out when the Suburban is close to completion.  Looks like I still need a 2m antenna as well.

KC9TNH

Quote from: s2man on June 12, 2013, 11:38:04 pmNo price is given.  Video shows it on Mercedes SUVs;  So if you gotta ask, you probably can't afford it ;-)
I was always jealous of the Brits back in the day; they had Gelandewagens and we had Interceptor-package Fords. Fast, but they 'stick' easier in muddy fields. The G-wagen always made more sense to me. This was before the term SUV was even in the lexicon.

Saw an old true Land Cruiser real recently; nicely maintained & outfitted with factory snorkel & everything, vs. Buffy's soccer-mom version you usually see. That would be a nice platform.

Geek

Speaking of snorkels, I was browsing around regarding Suburbans and found a guy trying to turn a Suburban into a replica of the one used in the movie Dante's Peak.  It had a snorkel and multiple antennas for radios.  I doubt I will bother with the snorkel.  :-)

RadioRay

"...snorkel..."

Somehow I picture Geek in the Suburban with snorkel kit while driving in his own personal diving gear and snorkel . . .   nyuk nyuk, nyuk !

It beats the OTHER guy who forgot to read the !!! CAUTION !!!part of the manual, after buying it used from Ted Kennedy's car . . .




de RadioRay ..._ ._






"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on June 13, 2013, 12:41:03 pm
Speaking of snorkels, I was browsing around regarding Suburbans and found a guy trying to turn a Suburban into a replica of the one used in the movie Dante's Peak.  It had a snorkel and multiple antennas for radios.  I doubt I will bother with the snorkel.  :-)


...yeah...but maybe the snorkel assisted in driving though LAVA!!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

Geek

I suppose I could get into my scuba gear and just drive around.  :-)

WA4STO

Quote from: RadioRay on June 13, 2013, 01:01:09 pm
"...snorkel..."


It beats the OTHER guy who forgot to read the !!! CAUTION !!!part of the manual, after buying it used from Ted Kennedy's car . . .




It might not have come from Kennedy's car.  I would think that Mary Jo Kopechne's family might've had it. 

But then again, yah, I guess it would've originally been in the car, regardless.  Hmmm...

73

LH

cockpitbob

I just added this to my list of things I will build as soon as I get the time by being laid off or kicked out by the wife.


White Tiger

Quote from: RadioRay on June 13, 2013, 01:01:09 pm
"...snorkel..."

Somehow I picture Geek in the Suburban with snorkel kit while driving in his own personal diving gear and snorkel . . .   nyuk nyuk, nyuk !

It beats the OTHER guy who forgot to read the !!! CAUTION !!!part of the manual, after buying it used from Ted Kennedy's car . . .




de RadioRay ..._ ._


Ray...you really need to warn us before you post pictures like this - I just blew a mouthful of eggs all over the kitchen counter....
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.