Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE!

Use coupon radiopreppers for 20% off on the above site.Become a Patron!

Author Topic: "Portable" Antennas  (Read 41895 times)

gil

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +78/-3
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
Re: "Portable" Antennas
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2013, 10:52:14 AM »
Hello Davide,

My 40m end-fed is a half wave. The bottom it about ten feet from the ground. Now, the length of it is 40ft, because of the choke. It's a 40/20/10m model. It must work pretty well because I worked Estonia on 1.2W on 40m, 5200 miles. I do get Russia regularly using from 3 to 6W...

Nice graphs, what program do you use?

Gil.

gil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2013, 10:55:16 AM »
If you're going to DIY a magnetic loop antenna, you could also DIY the variable capacitor...
http://www.alexloop.com/artigo21.html

Well, sure... Or I can work an hour or two and make enough to buy one... I love building stuff, but even though it isn't always cheaper, I try to consider the labor cost benefit...

Gil.

cockpitbob

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +39/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »
If you are car camping, a lot of this sounds good, but I wouldn't want to hump the fishing pole, tuner, stakes and guy-lines for the pole and a long feed line.  My end-fed has a tiny coupler and the feed line can be just a few feet long.  I only have to get 1 end of it up in a tree.  I do bring a spool of mason's string, a slingshot with a fishing reel hose-clamped to the side and a few 1oz weights.  After set-up the sling shot has other fun uses.

IZ2UUF

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
Nice graphs, what program do you use?

Hello Gil.

I'm using 4NEC2, a free frontend based on the classic NEC-2 engine.

Davide
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:31:46 PM by IZ2UUF »

gil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »
Thanks!
Gil.

IZ2UUF

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2013, 04:56:55 PM »
If you are car camping, a lot of this sounds good, but I wouldn't want to hump the fishing pole, tuner, stakes and guy-lines for the pole and a long feed line.  My end-fed has a tiny coupler and the feed line can be just a few feet long.  I only have to get 1 end of it up in a tree.  I do bring a spool of mason's string, a slingshot with a fishing reel hose-clamped to the side and a few 1oz weights.  After set-up the sling shot has other fun uses.

You are right but the situation is not as bad as you are depicting it: I'm also very concerned about weight, since I have to carry it for hours.
- the "long feed line" is 450 ohm window line, which is very light; it could be 300-ohm twin lead, even lighter;
- I carry no stakes, just one fishing pole;
- to hold the fishing pole, I have velctro ties in case I find a little tree or other suitable fixed structures; otherwise I use what I find, like stones;
- the setup time ranges from 10 to 15 minutes, depending on what kind of support for the fishing pole I find.

Finally, my altitude usually is so high that there are no trees:

Davide

Archangel320420

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Is it just me, or is IZ2UUF the kind of person we need to come to the USA?  :)

KK0G

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +23/-0
    • View Profile
    • Efficient Combat Training Inc.
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2013, 07:31:48 PM »

Which brings up a good point; sometimes we forget that our environment can have a huge impact on how we operate portable. Here in the midwest there are tall trees everywhere it seems and my end fed works perfectly in that environment. When I took a trip to Las Vegas last year and went into the mountains and desert to do some portable operating one day, I quickly discovered that I wasn't prepared very well antenna wise for that environment - in many places finding a suitable tree was very difficult to impossible in some places.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Geek

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

Seeing his photos, I am tempted to go there.   :)

IZ2UUF

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »

Seeing his photos, I am tempted to go there.   :)

Don't, it's a dangerous place: there are wild and ferocious animals that like to tear down antennae!  ;D

Davide

gil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 03:45:24 AM »
Maybe she smelled your socks from a long way off...  ;D

Gil.

IZ2UUF

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 04:03:36 AM »
Maybe she smelled your socks from a long way off...  ;D

This is a very good point to be remembered for the future: never put boots and socks near the antenna!  ;D

Geek

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:41 AM »
Cow pies surrounding the spot you left your shoes!   :(

IZ2UUF

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »
Cow pies surrounding the spot you left your shoes!   :(

That would be a real nightmare! When I'am surrounded by cows or goats I choose an high and flat stone, something I can defend like a bastion. I've seen cows eating shoes, socks and t-shirts: they chew them for a while, then they spit them out all green colored. Glad that weren't mine! :-)

Davide

KC9TNH

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »

Which brings up a good point; sometimes we forget that our environment can have a huge impact on how we operate portable. Here in the midwest there are tall trees everywhere it seems and my end fed works perfectly in that environment. When I took a trip to Las Vegas last year and went into the mountains and desert to do some portable operating one day, I quickly discovered that I wasn't prepared very well antenna wise for that environment - in many places finding a suitable tree was very difficult to impossible in some places.
Yep, there it is. As Davide points out, lichen do not count as vertical structure.  ;D
Those who go above the tree line regularly - or for "that guy" luxuriating on the beach with his Buddipole & KX3 - either accomodates based on what's at hand; rocks, tie off to a shoe & bury in the sand, etc.  Being in a situation like "that guy" is on my bucket list but further down. In my real-life I'm blessed like KK0G with lots of antenna supports that give off oxygen. We seldom get the fantasy, it's what we do with what's in the windshield that defines.

Radio Preppers

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:01 PM »