The new Yaesu FT-818, specifications.

Started by gil, February 23, 2018, 11:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

The FT-818 provides 6W of solid output power with external DC power source. The supplied Ni-MH battery pack (SBR-32MH) has been upgraded to now provide larger battery capacity - 9.6v/1900mAh. The recent launch of several new satellites is a certain indicator that the large global community of satellite enthusiasts are going to be a very delighted to learn that the FT-818 includes the build in TCXO-9 oscillator that gives the FT-818 fantastic frequency stability (+/-0.5ppm). 5Mhz band (WRC-15 frequency is also available on the new FT-818.

The FT-818 includes all the useful functions that are included in the FT-817ND: Dual VFO's, Split frequency operation; IF Shift; Clarifier "R.I.T"; IF Noise Blanker; RF Gain and Squelch control; IPO (Intercept Point Opimisation); AM Aircraft reception; AM and FM Broadcast reception; VOX; Built-in electronic keyer; Adjustable CW pitch; Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS); Built in CTCSS Encoder/Decoder; 208 memory channels with 10 memory groups; two antenna connectors; automatic power off (APO) and Time out Timer (TOT) functions; and so on.

Radio Features:

- Increased power output 6W(SSB, CW, FM) 2.0W(AM Carrier) *NEW!
- Improved frequency stability ±0.5 ppm : Built-in TCXO-9 *NEW!
- Larger battery capacity : 9.6V/1,900mAh (SBR-32) *NEW!
- 5MHz band (WRC-15 + UK frequency) Operation available *NEW!
- 208 Memory Channels / 10 Memory Groups
- Operates on 160-10m , HF, 6m, 2m and 70 cm Bands
- Ultra Compact and Portable
- Two Antenna Connectors
- IF Shift, IF Noise Blanker, IPO, ATT
- CW "Semi-Break-in", CW Reverse, CW Pitch Control
- Built-in Electronic Keyer
- Multi-Color Easy to see LCD
- Internal Battery Operation Capability
- ARS Automatic Repeater Shift
- APO Automatic Power Off
- Front Panel Key Lock Mode

Supplied Accessories:

Hand Microphone(MH-31A8J)
Battery (SBR-32 9.6V 1900mAh Ni-MH )
Battery Case (FBA-28) (Requires 8 "AA: batteries)
Whip Antenna for 50/144/430 MHz (YHA-63)
DC Cable (E-DC-6)
Shoulder Strap, Ferrite Core, Rubber Foot
Operating Manual
Battery Charger (PA-48)

Specifications:
Frequency Ranges: RX 100 kHz - 30 MHz
50 MHz - 54 MHz
76 MHz - 108 MHz
87.5 MHz - 108 MHz
430 MHz - 440 MHz
TX 1.8 MHz - 54 MHz
(5.2500 MHz - 5.4065 MHz) WRC-15 + UK
144 MHz - 146 MHz
430 MHz - 440 MHz (Amateur Bands only)
Circuit Type: Double-Conversion Superheterodyne (SSB/CW/AM/FM)
Single-Conversion Superheterodyne (WFM)
Modulation Type: A1A(CW), A3E(AM), J3E(LSB,USB), F3E(FM), F1D(PACKET), F2D(PACKET)
RF Power Output : 6 W (SSB/CW/FM), 2 W (AM Carrier) @13.8 V
Memory Channels: 208
Case Size(W x H x D): 135 x 38 x 165 mm w/o knob and connector
Weight: 900 g (w/o Battery, Antenna and Microphone)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

caulktel

I've been following this for a couple of weeks now and I'm just not sure whether this is real or not. Yeasu did file for FCC certification for a FT-818 but this doesn't mean it will ever see the light of day, think Apple Computer. It doesn't seem to have enough enhancements to warrant bringing it out, like a 1900mah Ni-Mh battery? I guess I'm just a little skeptical because I just bought a brand new FT817ND ???.

Joel
N6ALT

gil

Hi, it's real. Gigaparts just sent out a mailer about it. The new model looks just like the old one. You can't tell the difference but for the FT-818 printed on it. The radio isn't really different from the old model. Power output has been increased to 6W, which for all practical matters makes no difference whatsoever. The better frequency stability is the only new feature in its favor. Better battery capacity? So what? There are already better batteries available from other vendors. No info on current draw yet, but I suspect it will just be the same. So, the FT-818 is an FT-817nd with a new name, created for marketing purposes; disappointing...

Gil.

caulktel

Yep, that's my take on it also. As for the current draw, I think it should be worse with the included TCXO ref osc with a heater running the whole time the radio is on. The thing is, you can buy all those options for the 817. The TCXO is cheap on Ebay and a 3ah LiPo from Windcamp is a much better idea than a 1900mah NiMh battery anyway. As far as the extra watt of power, that's useless but can already be done to the 817 if we want. Not much of a upgrade. :-\

Joel
N6ALT

Quietguy

It must have cleared FCC review; HRO is taking orders and says it will be available in March.

https://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-016097

Wally

Mr. White

The price point is crazy too. $800 usd you can get used 857Ds all day long less then that. You can get a loaded KX2 new in that range.   :o

White

cockpitbob

Among other things, they probably needed to do a major redesign on the ft-817 because it is such an old design that key chips were going obsolete.  We have that problem at work on boards more than about 10 years old.  The fact that they didn't charge the enclosure at all is.a big giveaway to me that Marketing didn't tell them they needed to come up with a new product.  Still, the FT-817/8 is a helluva radio with all it can do in such a small package.

GRIZZLY

I take my shovel and unburry this topic.

So if I understand, the 818 is not a big inovation but it is still a very good radio that can work on any range of frequencies.

Am I right ?

GRIZZLY

The fact is that here in France this is sold out almost everywhere so I think if I want one I have to be swift.

gil

I wish I had one, it is a great radio...
Gil.

GRIZZLY

Quote from: gil on April 01, 2022, 05:32:05 AMI wish I had one, it is a great radio...
Gil.

Do you already order in germany ? It seems that they have some 818.

GRIZZLY

After further reflexion, I think I will use a CB in my car and prepare my license to use something with a little bit more fun as TRPP 13 or some kind of PRC.

I saw that a TRPP 13 is sold around 100 or 150 euros these days.

Great fun not so expensive.

gil

Well, I don't think the 818 is particularly good as a mobile transceiver. I could be wrong... Probably better as a portable solution... Why would I order in Germany?
Gil.

GRIZZLY

Because it was available there but I change my mind.

When I Will be licensed I think I realy have more fun With some old military radios.

Sparks

GRIZZLY started a new thread and continued his discussion here:

http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,1990.0.html [Yeasu FT 818 ND]