My first QSO ever!

Started by gil, September 21, 2012, 11:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Well guys, I did it! My first QSO ever as a Ham was in Morse code. There was a contest going on on 40m, so it lasted less than a minute. My signal was picked up by F5IN in France! He replied with my call sign, I sent him my name, which he repeated. That's using 6W into a 66ft end-fed dipole strung around my house! I can't believe it, given the conditions..

Here is the guy's station, check out those antennas: http://f5in.pagesperso-orange.fr/cariboost2/

Gil.

WA4STO

Yay!  Good ON ya, Gil.

I think we all remember our first, uh, QSO.  Mine was in 1970 and I had a folded dipole for 40 strung along the walls of my apartment.

Sure is nice when the guy on the other end has antennas that can at least partially make up for any deficiencies back Stateside.

And so the group of like-minded preppers grows.  Of late, I've been Elmering a fellow down in Tampa (I'm in Nebraska).  So far, he's proven to be exceptionally goal-oriented, has managed to obtain a gorgeous Ten Tec Omni-D, and a multi-band "fan" dipole.

Oh, and he's arranged -- entirely on his own -- to hook up with a local V.E. group, where he'll be taking all THREE of the exams next month.  Doesn't get much better than that, from my perspective; nice to see a guy thrive like that.

http://www.qrz.com/db/WA4STO

RadioRay

Now is Gil SHOWING-OFF or what?

Novice: Wow!  I just Talked with a guy in Kentucky on SSB voice with my 100 Watt, TS-540 and beam antenna!   :D

Gil:  Pardonez vous , but MY first QSO was using a wire out the window for an antenna & QRP CW on a radio that I built myself, across the entire Atlantic ocean with FRANCE!    ;D

Maaaaan - some guys just REALLY know how to get started in ham radio!   ha ha ha! 

Congratulations Gil !

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Hi,

That's why I didn't try VHF yesterday, I wanted the "first QSO in Morse" bragging rights!  8)

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on September 22, 2012, 12:38:00 PM
Hi,
That's why I didn't try VHF yesterday, I wanted the "first QSO in Morse" bragging rights!  8)
Gil.
Previous lurker, couldn't resist offer of congrats on your 1st QSO on CW so registered. As some have said about other things, "you always remember your first."
Good deal. CW isn't king but it can be the pretender to the throne at times.

This forum is a cut above a few of the other prep sites I've seen so far.

gil

QuoteThis forum is a cut above a few of the other prep sites I've seen so far.

Thank you very much. We'll try to keep it that way..
Don't hesitate to get the word out..

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on September 22, 2012, 10:16:39 AM
Yay!  Good ON ya, Gil.

I think we all remember our first, uh, QSO.  Mine was in 1970 and I had a folded dipole for 40 strung along the walls of my apartment.

Sure is nice when the guy on the other end has antennas that can at least partially make up for any deficiencies back Stateside.

And so the group of like-minded preppers grows.  Of late, I've been Elmering a fellow down in Tampa (I'm in Nebraska).  So far, he's proven to be exceptionally goal-oriented, has managed to obtain a gorgeous Ten Tec Omni-D, and a multi-band "fan" dipole.

Oh, and he's arranged -- entirely on his own -- to hook up with a local V.E. group, where he'll be taking all THREE of the exams next month.  Doesn't get much better than that, from my perspective; nice to see a guy thrive like that.

http://www.qrz.com/db/WA4STO

I'll bet there is a concern he's trying to remedy...that's my focus in trying to accomplish what Gil has done...my prepping side is freaked out that my aging parents are several hundred miles away. They and I need some way to stay in touch when the power goes out and the cell phone towers go down.

...and when you live in an area that saw two hurricane "eye's" pass within 30 miles of each other - 30 days from each other - the loss of communication with a diabetic, heart patient, for two weeks - will make you a little motivated...(if not downright crazy)! The combination of a lack of cell coverage and the damage to several bridges made actuall, physical access a near impossibility for a couple of weeks!

Getting them to grow, can, and freeze a lot of vegetables - and trying to make sure they have water and some food storage is only PART of my plan (my personal and immediate prepperations are all up to date - never finished mind you, but as up to date as my budget can manage)!

If it ever happened again, I want to be able to contact them, or other family near them - amateur radio will allow me to do that. If I can do as Gil has done and gain all 3 licenses - maybe (if need be) if I could help direct aid to them in case of crisis..well, that would be priceless...

So, I can see where the guy would want to get that licensing stuff knocked out in a hurry - especially if he had an Elmer that knew a LOT about radio and the specifics of electronic remote viewing - that could operate cameras regardless of the power grid, and without using the internet...and if  this Elmer maybe even had helped WRITE some of the FCC rules...and could recommend antenna's, radios, etc.,

Well, that guy would be a fool to waste his time and the time of that Elmer...wouldn't anyone have paid any amount of money to make sure their loved ones were safe during/after a crisis...?

I just hope I PASS - so I can MAKE my first QSO - soon!!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Quote from: White Tiger on September 26, 2012, 02:50:50 AMI'll bet there is a concern he's trying to remedy...that's my focus in trying to accomplish what Gil has done...my prepping side is freaked out that my aging parents are several hundred miles away. They and I need some way to stay in touch when the power goes out and the cell phone towers go down.
Had a chance to pickup several stations in the midst of the last Hurricane What'sHerName who were transmitting when it really mattered; utilities remaining down till winds died to a safety level for the crews. HF and battery power worked for them.

NVIS capability within a few hundred miles gave them local capability, and being able to pickup word from outside from the various nets on 20m that do that kinda thing and give others reports and some ground truth. All from the same piece of wire, just different bands.

DX contests & stuff are fun for some and have their purposes but the stranger 6K miles away may be of less value.

If your folks are a concern, get it on with them and get it done.  :)

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on September 26, 2012, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on September 26, 2012, 02:50:50 AMI'll bet there is a concern he's trying to remedy...that's my focus in trying to accomplish what Gil has done...my prepping side is freaked out that my aging parents are several hundred miles away. They and I need some way to stay in touch when the power goes out and the cell phone towers go down.
Had a chance to pickup several stations in the midst of the last Hurricane What'sHerName who were transmitting when it really mattered; utilities remaining down till winds died to a safety level for the crews. HF and battery power worked for them.

NVIS capability within a few hundred miles gave them local capability, and being able to pickup word from outside from the various nets on 20m that do that kinda thing and give others reports and some ground truth. All from the same piece of wire, just different bands.

DX contests & stuff are fun for some and have their purposes but the stranger 6K miles away may be of less value.

If your folks are a concern, get it on with them and get it done.  :)

NVIS is the exact plan! A friend of mine (active on the boards - WA4STO) is Elmering me and we have discussed this - he's also introduced me to some of those digital modes to be utilized for future security - like I said - independent of the power grid and independent of the internet.

That alone - is what has driven me, and others like me - to learn amateur radio in a hurry!

I'm getting my shack ready to make that first QSO - hopefully that will come sometime after my name appears on the database!!

gil

Tim, you might want to download Fldigi, it decodes most digital modes including Morse; very easy to "plug-in."

Gil.

White Tiger

You're the second person to tell me about FLDIGI...I'm absolutely going to once I get me laptop upgraded next week - have to make a trip to the muthership for that though!

Thanks!

k1oik

I have no interest in being part of a board that the owner thinks he is a God and needs to censor and also needs to require a verification on each  message. This is not a bank. Even QRZ does not have excessive security. Luck did attack me but was not indecent
Thank you for posting my video

White Tiger

Luck attacked you?

...and Gil is too strict about wanting to keep it above board?

I'm thinking both of those statements are about other people and other places (alternate universe?)...than the folks I've met on this board?

...and when taken in the context of this thread...it seems like a complete non-sequitur.