SDR for data that is low power and reliable

Started by daedalus, November 05, 2019, 06:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daedalus

I am looking at SDR transceivers but can see power and reliability problems with running a laptop. I considered a tablet but assuming no internet after a disaster I don't think this will be very reliable (any updates typically need to be verified which means internet !) . So have several questions :

1) Is there an SDR transceiver that is self contained and can do all the digital modes plus auto CW and can be reflashed without internet

2) Is the raspberry Pi a realistic alternative to a laptop for driving an SDR transceiver

3) Is there a way to open up an SDR transceiver to TRANSMIT on ANY frequency within its upper and lower frequency , I can see its easy to listen on any freq

gil

Quote from: daedalus on November 05, 2019, 06:17:29 AM1) Is there an SDR transceiver that is self contained and can do all the digital modes plus auto CW and can be reflashed without internet

2) Is the raspberry Pi a realistic alternative to a laptop for driving an SDR transceiver

1. Not at the moment, though the hopefully-soon-to-be-release QSX kit from QRP-LABS will have a buil-in interface and built-in PSK31 and RTTY, plus Morse decoder.

2. See OH8STN's channel about that...

3. Probably...

Gil.

daedalus

I really like the sound of the QSX, just what I was envisaging. Would still require something external for JS8call but love that it does a lot of other digital modes.

Thanks for the steer to OH8STN, amazing info on the site

I will research the ability to transmit on any frequency and see what the possibility is