Waiting for a Norcal 40!

Started by gil, January 09, 2020, 05:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello.

Great news (for me), I found a Norcal 40A kit on Ebay! It isn't sold as a kit but as a PCB with a bag of components. I call that a kit, but oh well. The Norcal 40, precursor of the Elecraft K1, was designed by our member Wayne, co-founder of Elecraft; or was it K8IQY? I can't remember. The PCB files were released in the wild and some people made runs of the board. A club in England put a kit together for its members and apparently had some left over... I don't know if they have more but a quick search on Ebay for "Norcal 40" will answer that question.

The Norcal 40 is a single band CW transceiver with the amazing receive current of 15mA! Power output is around 2.5W, drawing around 200mA. It will run seemingly forever on most battery packs. It is in the same category as the Small Wonder Labs SW+ from Dave Benson.

There will be a video of course, if it works, and I don't see why not...
Anyone here has used one before?

Gil.

Sparks

Quote from: gil on January 09, 2020, 05:19:35 AMThe Norcal 40, precursor of the Elecraft K1, was designed by our member Wayne, co-founder of Elecraft; or was it K8IQY? I can't remember.

Quote from: undefinedThe club is probably best known for its many kits, which started with the NorCal 40, designed by Wayne Burdick, N6KR, that is credited with giving the club a huge boost when we were getting started. Wayne later designed a couple of other famous kits for us, including the 49er and the Sierra.

QuoteNews
The following are the most recent events of the Northern California QRP Club.
November 23, 2004:
Added the 49er construction manual to the manuals page
Also added the K8IQY Iowa QRP 10 Transceiver to the Projects area.

Those two last quotes from here: http://www.norcalqrp.org/files/