S8 noise at the QTH, need to build a DF antenna.

Started by N0AJS, October 12, 2020, 12:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N0AJS

Ive been plagued with a noisy utility pole since i moved to my new QTH and it has grown to an S8. I think ive narrowed it pretty close driving around with the AM reciever running. It totally overpowers all the AM broadcast several hundred yards away. I was wondering if any of you guys had a good homebrew DF antenna design that i could build to pinpoint this problem.   

Sparks

Since you live in the US, maybe you could complain to the FCC and let their inspectors find the cause?

https://www.fcc.gov/eb-cmpls

Another possibility:

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/interference-radio-tv-and-telephone-signals

QuoteElectrical interference may also be caused by power lines. Interference caused by your power company's electrical equipment is normally continuous, and your power company should be notified.

A simple method of determining the location of electrical interference is by using a portable battery-powered AM radio tuned to a quiet frequency at the lower end of the dial. You should hear static or a buzzing sound as you get close to the source of the interference. The closer you get, the more intense the static will be.

If you cannot locate the interference source in your own house, check with your neighbors to see if they also experience interference. The source may be in their home.

If you cannot determine the source of the electrical interference, contact the customer service department of your local power company. Most power companies will investigate the problem and take steps to correct it.

N0AJS

Well, i did some basic investigating and tracked it approximately to a pole a block from the house. Called the utility company and they sent a lineman to talk to me. He looked around and found a capacitor bank ground wire was touching metal and causing the buzzing. He was really surprised that i was able to track it down and had mentioned how they usually dont find the issue if they get a call. Om still thinking about building a DF antenna and some sort of an attenuation box just for situations like this. Maybe even build a fox transmitter and get a local fox hunt going.

Lamewolf

Don't use an AM broadcast radio as electrical nose can travel several hundred miles at those frequencies.  Instead use a scanner set to the aircraft band 116 to 136 mhz AM where the noise only travels a few miles.  Or if you have a portable rig such as the Yaesu FT-817 that will do  2 meter AM, use that.  A 2 meter, 3 element beam can be used and bought commercially or easily built.  Even a simple dipole made from stiff wire such a coat hanger wire.  You could even make a quick and easy 2 meter, 2 element beam with coat hanger wire and use a piece of 1 x 2 inch wood for the boom.

gil

I magnetic loop would cure that real quick...

Gil.

N0AJS

I have the parts to make a 10ft coax mag loop. The only thing i need is a little bit of time to build it.