Do you feel robbed?

Started by EA3IAV, September 23, 2022, 07:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EA3IAV

What do you think? I am observing a big increase in prices on this niche of hobbie we have. This is only an example

gil

Well, you're not robbed if you're not forced to buy it...

Gil.

RadioRay

Well, I do understand that priCes are high and increasing, but there are ways to be a ham with a quite useful and enjoyable station without spending a lot of money.  This I know, because I am a pensioner, but do fine:

1. Skills are free and stay with you for life.  For example, learning Morse code is VERY much more efficient than voice communication on HF.  Hams who use Morse code requires less power, less expence and I find that even simple equipment, maybe kit built, works very well.

2.  Learn to build your own transceivers and antennas.  Most of these 'tacti-cool' antennas are made for people who will not make their own.  The company DOES understand their business model and what they are able to charge. A simple and efficient home made dipole or end fed half wave wire works very well, can be made for very little money and I've used them for decades in wild country.

3.  Many people, ESPECIALLY Gil, will show how do do this on the Youtube channels.  This is a real advantage.

No, I cannot imagine myself spending this much for an antenna like this. but, that's because I'm not the target customer base, but YES they do have many customers interested in their products.  OTOH, I don't need it, my antenna kits cost me less than a half week of coffee at a cafe'. because I make them myself. Wire and maybe some reasonable coax, and a little time, that's all.

Time for a sip of cognac and sleeeep.

- RadioRay

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Absolutely.
These antennas can be replicated for just a few dollars and will work just as well. The only difference will be build quality and ruggedness, but even that can be approximated, if not equaled without CNC machining..

Gil.

KE5ES

My first dipole got me tons of contacts.  My endfed halfwave is becoming my GoTo antenna.  Yes, Morse Code is far more effective and efficient than voice.  In two weeks I have gotten over 200 contacts on 5 watts with two of them on voice.  The rest are CW.  Some people say "You get what you pay for.". I say use your money wisely.