KX3 MARS Mod.

Started by gil, September 25, 2013, 08:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewisp

I put in a call to elecraft, no word back as of this morning.
I don't see anything on their website about this mod either. Maybe I just missed it.
    can you tell me how the software gets installed?

Andywragg

Hi there, Wouldn't the MARS mod render your KX3 unusable under the new FCC advisory note relating to the ability of equipment to transmit out of amateur bands?
Once a 'STAB in the Dark'
M6UAW

RadioRay

C'mon, Andy,

You know that most Americans don't obey faceless distant bureaucrats, unless we personally believe in that particular regulation.   That goes double if it came from Washington D.C. ha ha

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
- or something like that ;-)

de RadioRay  ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Quietguy

Quote from: Andywragg on October 16, 2018, 04:42:53 AM
Hi there, Wouldn't the MARS mod render your KX3 unusable under the new FCC advisory note relating to the ability of equipment to transmit out of amateur bands?

I'm guessing you are referring to the FCC taking on Baofeng regarding violating the rules concerning commercial sales of "type accepted" equipment.  There is no prohibition against amateurs possessing or using equipment capable of out of band transmissions; the prohibition is against actually transmitting where they are not authorized.  The MARS mod does not affect amateur use of the equipment within amateur bands.  US amateurs are free to design, build, modify and operate their own equipment as long as the equipment meets FCC emission standards.  That's why kits can be sold without going through the "type acceptance" approval process.  The kit isn't a radio until it is assembled, and then it is up to the individual amateur to make sure his equipment complies.

But, some time ago I read the NTIA (the agency that regulates US Federal frequencies) had ruled that MARS members had to use equipment that complied with NTIA regulations, which did not include modified amateur equipment.  I am not a MARS member and I don't know how that played out.  The NTIA regulates Federal government frequencies, including military, and the FCC regulates civilian frequencies.

Wally

Peter SP2SWR

Hi Gil and the Group!
I  have tried to install the bandlimit changing program as provided here but I could not.  It says something on system requirements. My computer here runs on Win7 64 bit. Any advice?
Thanks!

gil

Hi Peter.

I would suggest an older version of Windows, 32 bits...

Gil.

Lionking45

Successfully installed on a KX2.  Make sure you change the RS232 speed to something less than the default used by the utility (38400).  I used 9600 in the setup of the KX2 under RS232.  It works fine.   I plan to do it next on my KX3.   The KPA500 is not bothered by the TX being out of band.  Test it on a dummy load as it will not be resonant on your amateur antenna otherwise without using an impedance matcher.

gil

Good to know the software still works, thanks.
Gil.