IP67 Waterproofing of portable HF radios.

Started by gil, July 17, 2016, 09:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

These days you can easily buy a waterproof handheld radio. Even Baofeng has a cheap waterproof HT, the GT-3WP. IP67 is a standard of protection against the elements: Complete protection against dust, tested under vacuum for up to 8 hours. Ingress of water not possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under pressure, up to 1 m of submersion for 30 minutes. There are more stringent ratings, but IP67 is most common.

Why aren't there any HF radios with an IP67 rating when it seems manufacturers have no problem implementing it on cheap HTs? My RT-320 is submersible, but it is a military radio. You could strap one on your back and swim across a river, no need to even turn it off...

Are we Hams considered armchair operators? But then that doesn't explain the HTs. Have the manufacturers not caught up yet? Will they? I'd love a watertight KX2 or FT-817nd. Sure, they are always Pelican cases and other solutions, but that's only for transport.

Bottom line is, "squeaky wheel gets the oil." We won't get the types of radios we need unless we ask for them.

Gil.

RadioRay

As susal, you are quite correct:

1.  Market share -vs- cvost of development.  Most hams are being sold mega-stations, because that's where the profit center is.  Huge piles of expensive doo-dads that gon on a shelf at the operator console. 

2.  A handi-talkie on the belt is as /pedestrian mobile/ as most hams ever become. A handi-talkie might be dropped, so impact and water resistance is a selling feature.  How they can do this for an inexpensive HT, I do not know.

3.  Bells, whistles and flashing lights are required components in most ham markets.  It always sickens me to see a "QRP" station, on a desk, huge computer for rig control, three monitors, automatic DX cluster spots with automatic tune to frequency, computer CW - send & receive - , panadapter, voice sound equalizer (suitable for broadcasting) , "voice keyers with multiple memories (all shouting "59", memory keyers, and more.  Yes, the power drain for the QRP rig is tiny, but the rest of the station is so huge, what does it matter? Home QRP is fun - but if the station is already drawing a couple of hundred Watts for 'accessories', then what is the point?

4.  Technically, there is really no reason that we cannot have HF QRP rigs the size of an older handheld, but there does not seem to be a market.

The only commercial manpacks seem to be for NGO's. The PRC-1099, Q-Mac are both very expensive, old designs. The twenty year old (Yeasu ?) Vertex VX-1210 is a commercially made manpack, but the design is twenty years old and still selling for $1500 'ish !  Imagine what could be done with today's technology?   The Swiss Army Knife radio; the FT-817 is approaching 20 years old - time for a redesign. Again though, most hams use them on the shelf. Before that, it was the FT-70 manpack - a reduced cost 'para-mil' manpack for some Asian nations. Over runs were sold to hams.

Elecraft is well on their way, with superb attention to this niche' market, beginning with the KX-1, it was a new paradigm. , but to market 'the smallest' , all companies do things like putting connectors along the sides - and often the rear of their 'Trail Friendly radios to keep the front panel and overall size smaller  & jighter than the competition.  However, with side-mounted connectors, there is no way to operate the radio from within a water tight case - even with the lid open, unless the case is much larger to leave room to plug in the 1/2 - 2 " connectors, used on radios like the FT-817.

A rig that fits into an Altoids tin is fun, but I'd rather have a small, reasonably water resistant rig I can flip open the lid, hook-up the wire and operate, rather than knitting together a bundle of wires. Elecraft is listening - that's obvious, but more market pressure would make for greater innovation and competative pricing.

---  Ancient History ---

I wrote this 20 years ago , and it's true today. This was just before the 'Trail Friendly Radio ' thought process really began:

Date: Thu Jul 18 1996 - 22:18:35 EDT

de Radio-Ray/N0EKU

------------------- RIG.TXT follows --------------------
I've been following with interest the discussions about changing
the ergonomics of our 'wilderness' type radios. It was accurately
noted, that though many of us are primarily interested in outdoor
activities, and bring radios along with us to the wilderness, our
radios are designed to be operated at home, on a shelf at eye level.

I have a radio which was built in the 60's for use by Special Forces
and CIA types who are on the move. Though the technology is 30 years
old, I often camp with my PRC-64 simply because it was designed for
operations in the bush. Here are some of the features that it has
which we might want to incorporate into our 'wilderness' gear.

1. The rig in it's carrying pouch is entirely self contained. The pouch
   contains the radio, antenna kit and monofilament line (50 lb.) to
   get the antenna into the trees.

2. ALL operating controls, connectors etc. are located on the top panel.

3. The top panel has a gasketed lid which completely encloses the top panel,
   protecting the delicate controls. The lid latches closed and is dust
   and water tight.

4. There is a battery cut-out switch so that when you close the lid, the
   radio is off NO MATTER WHAT. No dead batteries because you forgot
   to turn it off.

5. There is a built in key on the top panel.

6. The batteries are inside of the radio, but easy to remove/change. Access
   is FROM THE TOP PANEL. Note: I keep my batteries inside of my parka/
   sleeping bag during winter camping trips. Under V E R Y cold
   conditions I keep the entire radio inside of my sleeping bag all
   night. Cold weather can cripple some types of batteries.

7. The radio case is smooth, all corners are rounded so as to not cut,
   tear & chafe the camping gear it is packed with; or me!

8. The rig has a simple, internal antenna tuner with indicator.
   (I often make my skeds using just a slant wire in a tree against
   a quarter wave counterpoise - Army style. In a pinch the tuner
   will allow you to make your contacts using a barbed wire fence if
   this is all that you have.)

9. In addition to a standard antenna connector such as a BNC, install
   binding posts in parallel with the antenna connector for connecting
   directly to wire antennas.

10. My earphones are stored inside of a small enclosure in the radio.

11. I wired the battery harness to allow me to keep the receiver
    running while I use the solar panel to top off the batteries.
    Since I used four 6 volt gel cells to power the radio, I can
    use my charging harness to charge the batteries from any source
    that is above about 7.5 volts. This can be either my solar panel
    or the jeep battery.

One item which I would add would be an internal speaker. My spy
   radio does not have a speaker, for obvious reasons. I always use
   headphones. Never disturb others with your radio "noise", BUT if
   the phones are lost or damaged, an internal speaker - even a poor
   one would allow you to make your contacts. It can be a good way
   to share your radio contacts with your camping friends if they are
   interested, especially on those loooooong winter nights, when my
   camp mates are staring at the walls, and I'm listening to the BBC!

Our modern electronic components and designs are GREAT! So now let's
incorporate them into a physical package which suits the needs of
outdoor adventurers. If I had to leave tonight on short notice, this
is the radio I'd grab. I know that everything is in the bag, and that
the radio would survive the trip.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Excellent post Ray, thanks. You had your modified KX1 which was great. That is about the only thing we can do. It wouldn't take much for a manufacturer like Yaesu to make a watertight FT-817nd. The cost would be in building a sturdy watertight case. I don't know why they haven't, given how many 817s they have sold. My RT-320 was probably billed at around $15,000 in the 80s. We know of course that military prices are highly inflated in order to steal more taxpayer's money.. Would I buy a $1500 QRP radio? Yes, if it was worth it. It is a matter of practical value, not price. I can't afford a $12K Codan though, that would be excessive if I wasn't paid to use it. Maybe the Chinese need a bit of nudging... Youkits?

I have somewhat recently been made aware of the quality of commercial and especially military gear.. My RT-320, I keep talking about it, because it has so little to do with amateur rigs, it could have been made on another planet! We really get the lowest level of ruggedness. In a shack, it doesn't matter. Out there, it makes all the difference. That RT-320 does not need a case, and I would carry it or use it in the rain without thinking twice about it. It will make a great sailboat radio later, hopefully.

I could not imagine an amateur transceiver lasting very long in an ash filled or salty atmosphere, pouring rain, or being bounced around much. Why isn't a $600-$750 radio less rugged than a $60 Baofeng or $120 Yaesu HT?

I think I might write an article for Eham on the subject...

Gil.