Pilots License

Started by KK0G, November 11, 2014, 11:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

My intent is not to toot my own horn, but as I have many friends here on the forum and I wouldn't want them to be pissed off that I didn't tell them when they find out later........

As many of you know I started flight training towards my private pilots license last spring. Well just last Sunday I went for my check ride and...... I passed and I now possess a Temporary Airmen's Certificate - Private Pilot - Airplane, Single Engine, Land. I'll admit it wasn't exactly a cheap piece of paper, but it was worth every damn penny. Now, if I could only afford my own airplane.  ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Congratulations!
Welcome to the club  ;)

Now keep in mind, there are two very dangerous times in flying... Around 100hrs and around 500hrs...
You can always build your own airplane...

Gil.

Luigi

Congratulations. Keep the blue part up and the green/brown part down.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on November 12, 2014, 12:39:55 AM
You can always build your own airplane...

I've contemplated doing exactly that, in fact I've thought about it for many years before I even started flying. I have the skills and the majority of the tools to build a plane, what I lack is the time, finances and location. It's definitely not outside the realm of possibility in the future though.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

cockpitbob

Congratulations.  That's no small achievement, both intellectually and financially.  You're in a nice part of the country for flying too.  I did most of my flying in CA where pilotage navigation is easy due to the mountains, reservoirs and clear air, but I really enjoy the open beauty of the farmland.

You can buy a used airplane cheaper than you can build one.  The only 2 good reasons to build one are a) if you can't buy the performance features you want, and b) you want the building experience.

Renting is a wonderfully low-stress lifestyle.  No maintenance headaches.  Remember, if it flies, floats for f***s, it is cheaper to rent.

gil

There are cheaper ways to fly  ;)

Joe

Congrats !!!!  :) That is no easy task, I have 2 private landing strips close to my house, they are used for the crop dusters. If you find yourself on this side and need to bug out the option is there. One of them is only a quarter mile from my back door.  ;D

KK0G

The XYL and I are flying over to Pella early this afternoon for our first real flight to actually go somewhere. It's only about a 30 minute flight over there but being an old Dutch colony, Pella has some neat historical things to see so we thought we'd head over for the afternoon to grab some lunch and visit the historical village.

KK0G

cockpitbob

Ah, I miss the days fo $100 hamburgers on weekends.

gil

QuoteAh, I miss the days fo $100 hamburgers on weekends.

LOL, yes, I remember in flight school, one guy would come back saying there was a good looking girl behind an FBO desk on the East coast, and next thing you know, four 152s would take off in a hurry!  ;D

Gil.

vwflyer

Congratulations! Many an exciting adventure to you.