Preppers to be treated as terrorists

Started by WA4STO, October 26, 2012, 11:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

Quote from: Frosty on November 11, 2012, 10:00:06 AM

Would love to see how different activities are scored, and which combinations result in your profile getting singled out for further review.

Following the long-established methodology inherent in the policy of "they're all guilty unless by some incredible luck, they're proven innocent", I would submit that it's not been a matter of having your profile singled out. 

Consider:  now that the fusion centers as well as the mega-insane capabilities of the Utah NSA center keep all data on you forever, it's a simple matter for the lowly deputy to put in a query for your name/SSN/whatever just to see what comes back. 

"Oh, lookie here!  Frosty had a Part 97 violation back in 1993.  He absolutely failed to identify his ham radio station until the eleventh minute into the QSO.  Surely he's a terrorist"

Or ... there's a video of him speeding on the Jersey Turnpike back in 2001.  He must have been planning for 9/11 of that year. 

And when it's time to go to court, the whole topic of 'discovery' is out the window.  What once was an unclassified speeding ticket has now become "Ah, yerhonner, we can't tell even YOU about the source of this evidence against the guilty, I mean the accursed, cuz it's now classified and the guys at NSA won't release the classification until JFK's great grandkids have been gone for fifty or so years.  Ergo (lawyer talk?) you must admit the evidence but we won't tell ya anything about it, except to say that he's a terrorist.  I mean, just look at the huge amount of crud we have against the accursed.  Guilty, I say, guilty as any ham radio prepper could ever be.  So there, yerhonner"

Everything's up for grabs now.  Pity we're not the ones doing the grabbing.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

RadioRay

The reason that be have a million obscure "laws" is so that everyone is guilty of something.  It makes tyrany so much easier.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on November 11, 2012, 12:01:53 PM

The reason that be have a million obscure "laws" is so that everyone is guilty of something.  It makes tyrany so much easier.
Quite so. (BTW, most rank & file officers hate that stuff because they get to try to remember 437 "qualifiers" that change the nature of an offense.)

Having worked in the "belly of the beast" and once gotten myself invited (huh, who?) to a conference on some of these things after the stand-up of the fusion centers by Big Sis I got an interesting window into that stuff while sitting next to a partner in crime, an Originalist-thinking JAG officer I knew. The presenter covered all their "see something say something" stuff - the scenario at the time cited for the validity was the Times Square cabbie who did - and mentioned with some pride that if you see something & say something YOU, the peasant, would get that something of great value into the great database in the sky and really smart people would check it out.

I mentioned at coffee break before Q&A to my barrister friend that sure seemed like a good way to jam up someone you didn't like. (Frankly it reminded me of "block minders" in the old DDR.)

The question posed (jointly) by my legal eagle buddy & I was, "having run this  so-called 'lead' to ground and found it wanting of any merit whatsoever, what is the mechanism by which you purge this item from your database?"

Silence - first with glares at us for asking such an impertinent question, then at the presenters who, hmmm, really need to give an answer because the audience had now had at least 7 seconds to think about it.

Lottery of the day:  Guess their answer.
HINT:  All answers are correct except the one that says it will be immediately expunged.

I wish this were a faerie tale but you need to know about me that I save my tinfoil for baked potatoes.
;D

RadioRay

The More People Change, the more they stay the same. We do the same silly things that were in style 2 millenia ago.

I was reading through a bit about the life of Cicero in ancient Rome. At the time, there was a list of the enemies of the Emperor. Here's the deal:

#2.  Put that 'somebody's' name on the list.  (Evidence not required)
#3.  Receive YOUR reward which is taken from part of their property, or get it ALL for an amazingly low price.

You ask 'Where is #1?" .  Oh, that's the easy part:

#1. Find somebody with 'stuff' nicer than yours. It's helpful but not essential to not like them and sometimes better for YOU if you DO like them, because it's all the more convincing.

Now, Cicero was brilliant, well liked by the people, upwardly mobile and feared by many in the political elite. He ALSO had a great family farm in an upscale neighborhood and lot's of other 'cool stuff'. Wonder what Cicero was concerned about happening to him?  Yes - The List - - -

Politicians have not changed one iota - except maybe that they don't need to be nearly as intelligent or careful. At least in Cicero's day, even an Emporer could find himself torn apart by a mob, or stabbed to death on the way to work by a bunch of other politicians during the ides of March.  Today - politicians have it WAY too easy!

Et Tu Brute?

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

White Tiger

I noted with only mild surprise...that 20 states have already filed petitions of secession...with Texas being the first to reach the minimum number of signatures...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Quote from: White Tiger on November 13, 2012, 02:41:21 AM
I noted with only mild surprise...that 20 states have already filed petitions of secession...with Texas being the first to reach the minimum number of signatures...
Yep, I saw that Texas one. I think it's mostly a fad, and a gesture of outrage. Probably won't fly in most states as soon as they take a hard look at what kind of $$$ they're complicit in taking from the Fed.

Start with being on the hook for infrastructure. If your roads are more dangerous than running the Baja 1000 as soon as people cross into your state there won't be the attraction for either commerce or tourism, both needed. Lincoln knew how to put down a peaceful secession; that lesson has probably not been totally lost...

KC5OTL

Quote from: KC9TNH on November 13, 2012, 05:39:39 AM
Quote from: White Tiger on November 13, 2012, 02:41:21 AM
Start with being on the hook for infrastructure. If your roads are more dangerous than running the Baja 1000 as soon as people cross into your state there won't be the attraction for either commerce or tourism, both needed.

I venture to say that interstate transportation will be moot, anyway.  I see that state borders will be locked down to such a point that, only official and authorized vehicles will be allowed to cross state lines.  The surfs will be required to show an official permit to leave the state.

For someone like me who lives in Ohio and work in Kentucky, it would mean that I would have to go through a check point twice a day at I-275 and Kellogg Ave.  That will force me to find a job, probably sweeping floors or flipping hamburgers for my income as, I live out in the country and there isn't a single job that could support my current income needs.

Actually, TSA check points at state lines would be a line that I am not willing to cross and so, I would go Galt within a few days of interstate lock-down.

If you think I'm wearing an Aluminum foil party hat, roving TSA check points have been taking place in Tennessee for more than two years.  Right now they are only aimed at commercial transportation but this is the acclamation for what is to come in the not-too-distant future.

And another thing, there have been Black, unmarked Helicopters filled with armed military flying over my area for a couple of years, now.  One time, I was on my back deck and one came over the tree line and hovered about 100 feet our and observed me for about 5 minutes.  I was working on my solar power generator, at the time.  I waved at them and one of them pointed down at me and about 30 seconds later they flew on, resuming their search pattern of the area.

We are not a free people anymore.  The Gestapo has arrived and we are being observed, marked, acclimated and will soon be intimidated by this illegitimate regime running things!

KC9TNH

Quote from: KC5OTL on November 13, 2012, 11:22:31 AMActually, TSA check points at state lines would be a line that I am not willing to cross and so, I would go Galt within a few days of interstate lock-down.
Yep, they're firmly entrenched like the worst tick now that the recently concluded their full-blown negotiated agreement with the American Federation of Government Employees - and you can bet the tribute-loving (read, insatiable appetite for money, Workers of the World Unite) AFGE will be looking out for them. (Which judging by their much-filmed, recorded, and documented incompetence they will need.)

So, the motor-carrier division of a state's highway patrol isn't capable of taking care of commercial vehicle traffic? Oh, wait.  That's right, they're not owned by the Fed.

Anyone have in place at least 1 other person in their close circle/tribe with whom they could leverage an opportunity, using comms (you pick, blank sheet of paper), to practice seeing without being seen? Overwatch on a checkpoint?  Noting of patterns and habits?  Just for the exercise. When you need it, it won't come to you in a dream you'll need to have thought about it and trained it with someone.

Theoretical moonshinin' but with a better C2 plan.
:)

White Tiger

Not interested in crossing any such lines either...it's why I may be changing the destination of my BOL. Was planning to cross a couple of state lines, now I think getting to a more secure location should be no more than a total of a few hours.

Plans should yield to improving intelligence.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

I received MacPherson?s ?Battle Cry of Freedom? from Amazon and started reading... Great book! Thanks again for the suggestion.

Gil.

Geek

You might also enjoy "The Real Lincoln" by Thomas J. Dilorenzo.

Archangel320420

I simply am very impressed with this thread. The discussion was marvelous. We would be a lot better off if every american discussed these issues instead of watching pro football and knowing all the player's stats. Nothing wrong with that if you already also know some of the things in this thread.

By the way, someone mentioned Hamilton, I found out not only was Hamilton aide de camp to General Washington during the war but he requested combat and got it in the form of a night bayonet attack on a British position at Yorktown? He led the attack and ordered his men to not load their muskets because he didn't want to spoil the surprise with a musket going off by mistake during the charge. Talk about gutsie! He always seemed like a little squeak of a guy to me. Haaa Boy was I wrong.

gil

Hello,

I finished MacPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom." Excellent book. Now if someone could suggest me a great one on the Independance War? Thanks.

Gil.

raybiker73

I figured you'd like "Battle Cry of Freedom." If you want more Civil War reading about anything specific, I can point you in the right direction.

As far as the Revolutionary War, the best "overview" book is a relatively short volume by Robert Sobel called "The American Revolution." For something a bit more in-depth, try "George Washington's War" by Robert Leckie. It is basically the Rev War version of "Battle Cry of Freedom." If you read it, I'd put David McCollough's "1776" and Joseph Plum Martin's "Narrative of a Revolutionary Soldier: Yankee Doodle Dandy" on the list. Martin's book is a first-person account from an enlisted man who was with Washington's army the whole way to Yorktown. It is to Revolutionary War reading what "Hard Tack and Coffee" and "Company Aytch" are to Civil War reading. I highly highly recommend it.

gil

QuoteGeorge Washington's War" by Robert Leckie.

Thanks, I'm a sucker for big books  ::)

As far as the Civil War, I'd like something more tactical than political, and more on the South side.

Thanks!

Gil.